We aim to objectively, assess the safety of foreigners in Nigeria. The risk cases considered in our weighted assessment includes attempted harm, robbery, physical assault, offenses against property/businesses, kidnapping and death as occurred in each Nigerian state.
This assessment commenced on 01 March 2017.
This assessment was last updated on 29 November 2017.
|States||% of Harm||Number of cases|
Currently, there is a 13.96% risk of harm towards foreigners and their interests in Nigeria.
Recommendations to Foreigners:
- Register in accordance with all relevant immigration and lawful requirements on arrival into the country.
- Be security conscious at all times and avoid vulnerability to dangers.
- Carry a form of valid and acceptable identification all the time.
- Be friendly, courteous and polite to everyone in the country.
- Pay every legal bill where/when necessary.
- Seek knowledge, understanding and abide by the laws of the Nigerian state:
- Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria 1999
- Investment and Securities Act, 2007
- Companies and Allied Matters Act (CAMA), Cap C20 LFN 2004
- Central Bank Act, No. 7 of 2007
- Nigerian Investment Promotion Commission Act (NIPC), Cap N117 LFN 2004
- Foreign Exchange (Monitoring and Miscellaneous Provisions) Act, Cap F34 LFN 2004
- National Office for Technology Acquisition and Promotion Act, Cap N62 LFN 2004
- Immigration Act, Cap 11 LFN 2004
- Industrial Inspectorate Act, Cap 18 LFN 2004
Recommendations to NIGERIANS:
- Possess the spirit of accepting foreigners living in their country with love and respect.
- Avoid xenophobia and racist tendencies.
- Report timely to the security and law enforcement agencies, any issue regarding insecurities of foreigners.
- Recognise foreigners as partners in building the country.
Recommendations to THE NIGERIAN GOVERNMENT:
- Tighten the security at the Nigerian borders so as to know who is entering and leaving Nigeria.
- Enforce registration of foreigners in all relevant immigration and lawful entity in the country.
- Enforce the carriage and presentation of a valid means of identification by foreigners living in the country.
- Provide a conducive environment of security, justice and equality to the foreigners present in the country.
For additional information, clarification or reliable information on security of foreigners in Nigeria, kindly leave a comment below or Contact Us